Waiting for Hurricane Dorian

posted: September 4, 2019, 7:12 AM

Holden Beach is under a mandatory evacuation. Turtle Patrol volunteers will not be on the beach until after the storm has passed and it is considered safe to return to the island. As of Monday (September 2) night we had 14 nests left on the beach. There are also three nests that are questionable after the last two new moon tides.
When allowed back on the beach, volunteers will assess these remaining nests. We do bury “hurricane stakes” that can be found with a metal detector near each nest. We also have GPS readings of the nests. These tools can help us locate nests after the storm if the stakes and grates are missing.

Go To News Index Page

about | turtle talk | news | shop | links | photos | outreach | contact